Sunday, March 29, 2009

Gold Mine in Clermont County

I grew up in a house located less than five minutes from East Fork Lake State Park. I've always heard rumors about a gold mine being located on park property; it's common knowledge that small amounts of gold had been discovered in this area the 1800's.

Turns out there wasn't just one, but three gold mines on park property. My mom, whose grandfather owned a farm located on what is now a popular hiking and fishing area (you can still see daffodils where the farm used to be), told us she thought she knew where the entrance to a mine was. It was Sunday, the weather was beautiful, and we were bored...so we headed with my parents to look for it.

To my surprise, we found it after less than an hour of looking. Most of that time was spent looking for a road on the other side of the creek where it's located. We hiked down an old road, rounded a bend which overlooked a creek, and spotted the opening in the side of the hill.



For accountability and safety reasons, I personally don't want to reveal here exactly where we found it. I will say that it is easy enough to find if you poke around on the web a little.



I believe we found the Allen Mine. I'm not sure if this tunnel was built to access the mine, acted as a sluice or if it came later, when the trails were built. It connects to the creek through a hill. You can see the entrance of the mine from the other end.

The mine has been caved in for some time. I'm just amazed that a mystery from my childhood was cleared up in a matter of hours. We hiked further up on top of the hill, where we discovered an old foundation and well.



Who says this region is boring? My husband and I have gone on countless mini-adventures like this one. That's what inspired me to write the book I'm currently working on. Next time you complain about being bored, think about all of the things hidden around you!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah me and some friends went out and found it, we went all the way to the back of it, it's about 75 to 100 feet long, alot of people we spoke to didn't even know about it or where it was at, we have kept the location a secret as we don't want to be held liable

Unknown said...

I am interested in finding these sites, i spend a lot of time in those woods. Is there any way i could get helpful information on how to locate the sites? Can send in private to nathanielleefoster@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

Not a mine. Never was. What you found is the tunnel for the old tunnel mill. Exciting enough by itself. Don't think you can go in 75-100 feet these days, though. When I was a kid we could go in until an iron pipe came down from the ceiling. You went in at the park entrance just off old 32 below the Williamsburg High School, parked in the gravel parking lot, went back the old road almost across from the parking lot, crossed an old bridge, followed around to the right up a hill, with a road leading off to your left at the top of the hill (where you found the old foundation and well) then down the hill to an old bridge under which you can get to the tunnel opening, right?

nraven13 said...

TO: anonymous:
Will you provide me a way to contact you?
I have a particular interest in locating this. nraven13

Unknown said...

An article appeared in the Los Angeles Herald Aug 5, 1889. It described gold being foundin Clermont County on a farm owned by John Wood. Two experienced miners were planing to sink a shaft tunneling to the spot whence the surface gold comes.

Unknown said...

Interesting story. I also read that after creating his mining company, Captain Glass mined $20 worth of gold then a flood destroyed his $3000 sluice and the company went bankrupt. I have no way to verify this.

Unknown said...

Pretty interesting, I live in Bethel, Ohio close to East Fork and had no idea I gotta check it out🤔

Unknown said...

I grew up in Afton,and spent years in those woods. I have traveled so far, but my mental picture of "home", is the top of the hill at the boat docks, where it just opens up to the lake. 💜💜

Hopper Dean said...

Yes exactly what you found is tunnel mill. The old grist mill and dam were there until early 80s. We used to go to the starlite drive in across tunnel mill road. Heard a bobcat roar one night scared the crap out of us. For detailed info on area look up Dennis wass on facebook. Local history buff and my cousin.

anterpj@gmail.com said...

hi , I need to speak to you about that area and far more interesting things about it , also can tell you where the real mine is , it's only visible this time of year when the water is low . I also have sound theory about the tunnel mill tunnel . please email me so I can give you my number I will show you a truly ancient mining operation there .

Cheyenne. said...

I am emailing you now!

Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to say thank you for sharing I heard that the mines were under water now have fun searching peace ☮️ and love 💕

Anonymous said...

Thiswonderfulthingofours@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

This isn't the gold mine at east fork ,I found a post card with a picture of the entrance it in the side of a hill and looks nothing like these pictures