Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Talented Mr. Ripley





This is the bust of abolitionist John Rankin of Ripley, Ohio. This monument stands over his grave, just minutes from his house, which was part of the Underground Railroad and can still be visited today.
















Unlike the monuments that usually attract my attention, this one is far from subtle and not at all symbolic, but it still something I always look for when visiting. In fact, my husband and I sometimes take rides out past Ripley and play a game of who can spot Mr. Rankin first.

If you are ever passing through this sleepy little river town, I encourage you to stop by the Rankin house. The hours are seasonal and the road up there is long and winding, so plan ahead if you can. Nothing worse than getting all the way to the top to find it closed!

Rankin Information

No comments: